I totally love almond milk as it’s a fabulous dairy alternative that tastes great and is good for you as. Almonds are high in vitamin E and protein, magnesium, selenium, manganese, zinc, potassium, iron, phosphorus and calcium. Almond milk also has no cholesterol. It’s worlds apart from soy milk which by the way is not a health food in my book as its highly processed , high in sugar and estrogen which can encourage cancer growth. I use to be a huge fan of soy but now clearly I am not. It’s all about the nut milk people!
I have however noticed that some of the almond milks you can buy in the store are perhaps not so good. Many brands have added sugar into their almond milk and some of the organic brands even have agave syrup! Agave is not a health food but we will go into that another day.
When buying a store bought almond milk its best to try and avoid the ones that have any of these added undesirables. Also steer clear of the ones that have added colourings and preservatives etc.
I find the best almond milk is the one you make yourself. Full of nutty goodness and it’s really easy to make.
All you need is
- 1 cup of Almonds for 1 tsp of Himalayan salt ( pink salt )
- 4 cups of filtered or spring water
- Place nuts in bowl and cover with filtered water and then cover the bowl. Leave to soak at room temperature for 4 hrs or overnight – This is not 100% necessary but better as it softens up the nuts.
- Place nuts in bowl with water and blend on high for one min until its white and fluffy on top
- Drain milk through strainer or nut bag and store in glass container for up to 3-4 days.
Voila ! Add your nut milk to your favorite smoothie or breakfast porridge. Yum