If you are looking for a quick easy meal then making some pesto and throwing it in with some whole grain, buckwheat or gluten-free pasta or even as a salad dressing is such an easy, delicious & healthy meal.
Most of the pesto’s you buy in the supermarkets have preservatives in them. This version is a dairy free, preservative free version which because it is fresh you will also be getting all the health benefits from the basil.
- 3/4 cup cashew nuts (preferably soaked for an hour or two but if your short on time don’t stress).
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil or as much as required.
- approx 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt – to taste.
- Mix cashews and garlic in a food processor for about 1 min
- Slowly add the basil and mix until fully blended
- While it’s still mixing slowing pour in the olive oil and mix until all of the contents are moist.
- Mix in the salt to taste.
That’s it! Now use as desired. You can store this in your fridge for up to a week.
This pesto recipe is also great to use as a spread on some veggie’s or grainy bread. I love to mix it into a roast vegetable salad as the dressing. If used as a dressing just mix 1-2 tablespoons with some olive oil and some fresh lemon juice.